Entertainment Weakly (see what I did there?) has just
released a list of “Top 10” cult movies. The film experts here agree with two
of their choices (Bladerunner and Spinal Tap), and have decided to compile
their own list. The only criteria for inclusion on the list are 1.When you
mention the film in a roomful of people, at least one person will say, “Oh,
wow, I’d forgotten about that one!” And #2, just to up the
difficulty for me (what, you didn’t know that “film experts here” are all me?
It’s my site.) is that the movie cannot
have appeared on my List of Halloween Movies. So here we go…
(Monty Python has been left off the list because they rule all cult movies, and to include them is unfair to other films. Mr. Creosote said so.)
1. Heathers – Wynona Ryder and Christian Slater at Westerburg High, murdering the A-group in a classic that would NEVER be made these days.
Veronica: “My teen angst bullshit has a body count.”
2. Explorers – Three misfit boys (including a young
Heinlein the mouse: “I would like…cheese. Go to hell.”
3. UHF – Weird Al inherits a TV station in one of the funniest movies ever made. Michael Richards will always be Stanley Spadowski to me, not Cosmo Kramer. Also the movie that made me love the standup of one Emo Phillips.
4. Stand by Me – The lone Stephen King entry. Four boys set out across the countryside to find Ray Brower’s dead body. This movie taught me the fine art of creative cursing.
Voiceover: “Finding new and preferably disgusting ways to degrade a friend's mother was always held in high regard.”
5. Blazing Saddles – Some will argue that “Young Frankenstein” is the finer Mel Brooks film, but Blazing Saddles wins for me based tollbooth in the desert scene and the line: “Someone's gotta go back for a shit-load of dimes!” Also, the “They said you was hung!” part. Rent it, you’ll laugh. Or be appalled. Or both simultaneously. It takes a special film to do that to a person.
6. Pee Wee’s Big Adventure – Tim Burton’s first film (besides the wonderful “Frankenweenie.”). This was one of my favorites as a kid and I’ve just recently rediscovered it and realized how bizarre it is.
Large Marge: “On this very night, ten years ago, along this very stretch of road in a dense fog just like this. I saw the worst accident I ever seen. There was this sound, like a garbage truck dropped off the
7. Raising Arizona/The Big Lebowski - Coen Bros twofer
8. Princess Bride/Labyrinth - Gnumoon’s childhood twofer
9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me – The Twin Peaks saga wrapped up in a single film. Bob = freaky, is really the bottom line here.
Log Lady: “When this kind of fire starts, it is very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first, and the wind rises, and then all goodness is in jeopardy.”
10. Ties between: Gift, A Clockwork Orange, Little Shop of Horrors, Donnie Darko, Cry-Baby, Dead Again.
Anyone have any to add?
Currently Listening to: Bullet with Butterfly Wings, by Smashing Pumpkins (Is this considered old skool now?)
Greatest Product Reviews Ever: The Supersoaker Oozinator Amazon keeps cleaning out the review queue, but the posts just keep oozing in.