I will not lie. I will not be cynical. I will tell the truth:
I am excited about the New Kids on the Block reunion tour, and I will be there, singing along to every bubblegum saccharine song they lip-synch.
I remember "discovering" them, I remember buying their tapes at the convenience store, I remember my dad standing outside East Town Mall all night long to get me tickets, I remember being completely convinced that Jordan Knight was saving himself for me.
So many memories, most of them embarrassing as hell. Some so painfully embarrassing that I can't even blog about them all these years later.
Some of the "less" mortifying ones (and if these are the ones I deem OK, imagine what I'm hiding?):
- When I was 10 or 11 we went to Gatlinburg, and I went to one of those photo-kiosk places where they superimposed a photo of ME with JORDAN and then printed it on a T-Shirt. I never actually wore the shirt, but I treasured it. Even back then it wasn't cool to be an obvious fan. (I think my brother found the shirt recently and wears it regularly.)
- For the aforementioned concert, there was a poster contest through a Knoxville radio station. Draw your best poster, and the Kids themselves were going to come to the station the day of the concert and choose the best one, then the lucky winners would get to MEET THEM OMG.
My best friend (at the time ... we had those heart necklaces and everything) and I worked for weeks on our poster and were SURE that no one had anything quite as special or as glittery or as fetching as ours. We got all dolled up, carefully trundled our precious cargo to Knoxville, and stood in the station parking lot all day with about a thousand other preteen poster-makers, squealing when anyone appeared in the station window. We, of course, did not win.
I still believe that we were robbed.
- For some reason, I thought that my fluorescent orange and blue NKOTB tshirt went really well with these shoes. (My brother also found that shirt and wears it. He's a skinny hipster kid, though, so he gets to be "ironic" instead of "retarded")
- NKOTB is the reason I'm a Rush fan. Srsly.
At some point my older cousin had just had enough of the poppy madness, and one day we were driving around in his white convertible Miata, and he said something along the lines of "You're too smart to listen to such bad music" and handed me some Rush tapes and the Moving Pictures CD (one of my first CDs).
- My mother did not approve of my shirtless Jordan Knight poster.
Come to think of it, my brother has that too...
- I had the Jordan and Donnie dolls. Screw you, rest of the Kids. Who in the world would want a Joey doll? as if, gah.